Monday, April 28, 2008

Sorry- *edited*

Sorry, no blog tonight. I'm slightly behind in this evenings schedule (hear that...we are getting on a schedule...yay!) due to the tornadoes that whipped through this town and caused tons of damage. I now have a downstairs bathroom of blankets, books, snacks, candles, flashlights, shoes and helmets to clean up. Said to be the worst tornado in this areas history. Schools started letting kids out around 6:00...yet another reason I'm thankful we choose to home school. We are fine...but several families about a mile away are not. Homes vehicles and hospitals are damaged and roadways are blocked. Please keep all affected in your prayers.

***********************************
*****I was on the computer Google-ing something for Kalee when my computer mysteriously restarted. OoooK. That was weird. Meanwhile I heard the ice cream truck and gathered the kiddos so we could go splurge. As I walked out the neighbor across the street pulled in his driveway and said "Did you see the tornado?" Um, excuse me? Tornado? And I'm outside...why? That got me glued to the TV instantly. Sure enough I gathered the necessary belongings for us to live in the bathroom for a few hours....while listening to the TV. It was all happening right here...in the town where I live. I saw the local hospital a church friend works at and their 3 kids go to child care at damaged on TV. The strip mall right beside it. I saw video of the tornado right behind my favorite Ruby Tuesday's and where I attend church. Amazing the devastation...all about a mile away. Then I e-mailed Max to let him know we were OK because he would find out about it sooner or later...and made calls to those in that area. Later finding out a friend that I met in Yokosuka (and didn't know they PCS'd to this area until I found her at a park around the corner about 2 months ago) and her family were displaced. Her house is standing but not live-able. Windows busted out, debris every where. Her neighborhood was destroyed...and they have 2 girls under the age of 3...and was having a late play date. Windows started shattering and they ran to the bathroom...they did not hear it coming like most say they do. All are fine and un-injured but it's still heart wrenching!! My neighbor was at a Dr.'s appointment and her van window suffered damage due to a tree branch. Her 3 children were at home with a 14 year old babysitter. Hearing her story gives me chills up my spine. Imagine how a 14 year old would respond to a disaster like that with a 4, 2 1/2 and 14month old in her care. Imagine the Mom...having just experienced it herself. Scary! Fortunately several church families including mine have come together to assist in the after math. Still a few people unaccounted for but no fatalities directly related to the storm... just injuries. Makes me look at life from a different angle.
Devastating...purely shocking and devastating.*****

5 comments:

Joanna said...

Glad to hear that you made it through okay :) I saw some pics online of all the damage, how scary.... YIKES!!!

Renee and Ryan's Book said...

Oh my goodness Averi! I am sooo glad you all are ok! I didn't think tornadoes would be a problem here, but I guess I was wrong! I'll definitly be praying for your neighbors!

Anonymous said...

I'm so GLAD that you are all safe!! I was really scared and worried about you guys and my family so I am glad everyone I know is ok!! Love you and miss you. It was good talking to you

Anonymous said...

I'm so thankful you are safe. I know it can be extremely heart wrenching seeing what a tornado is able to do...My prayers go out for the families that were hit. Scary!

You are awesome for offering to help...blessing someone in need... :).

They call me CAT said...

I am so glad you are all ok! I didn't even know it was that close to you. You have such a big heart for helping others!!